Wednesday 22 December 2010

Uniform



Tim Sharp from Liverpool design agency, Uniform gave me some great advice about my portfolio, he discussed each piece of work and advised me on how I can develop pieces into campaigns to show more skills and how to add details to earlier work to make them appear more professional. He complemented my type layout on some pieces but was also honest about which pieces he thought shouldn't be in my portfolio.

He also made a valid point about not having anything in my portfolio which was too 'stand alone' or which I didn't feel comfortable talking about. He spoke about the importance of having fewer good quality pieces rather than lots of mediocre work, he advised me to try and develop an idea beyond what the brief requires to show various skills and to give a better idea of the brief and how it can progress in various forms.

The visit was really informative and the advice he gave me about developing pieces I already have instead of just updating with new work is something which I have started to do, the discussion about being able to talk about my work in my portfolio has made me think carefully about the content.

He gave me some great ideas about how I can develop a project which involved using existing typography design which was just displayed as a quote in my portfolio into a series of posters, which is something I hadn't thought about but is now something I will definitely work on.

He made me look at my portfolio totally different and has given me some good pointers on how to develop it, to make it appear more professional and to give it more depth. I discussed some work I am currently doing and he said to send him a PDF of the work in the new year, which I am really pleased about, I plan to keep in contact and hopefully arrange a future visit to show how I have taken his advice to update my portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment